Dynamic VAr Systems are comprised of:
- T-Star's proprietary components (Static Switches, Controls) and,
- Standard components available industry-wide.
Standard Dynamic VAr System-Level Protection Equipment includes the following items. Not manufactured by T-Star.
- Medium Voltage Vacuum Circuit Breaker
- Circuit Breaker Control relay
- Ancillary PTs and CTs for breaker sensing and control
- Visible Disconnect
- Grounding Switch
- Capacitor Fuses
Standard Dynamic VAr Stage Equipment. Not manufactured by T-Star.
These passive components are in proximity to T-Star-manufactured static valves. Our recommendations on design, maintenance test intervals, and pass/fail differ from somewhat from standard manufacturer recommendations.
- Shunt Capacitors: Single-phase dual bushing capacitors are required. We recommend a BIL level at least one rating beyond the system voltage level design requirement (i.e., 60kV BIL system > 95 kV BIL capacitors, 95kV BIL system > 125/150kV BIL capacitors).
Detuning Reactors: Detuning reactors are required. Reactor design and tuning point should be discussed with T-Star prior to purchase. Reactors may be either single or three-phase; generally, a floating core reactor is preferred as it results in reduced voltage stresses.
T-Star Proprietary Equipment:
T-Star provides the static valves in one of two configurations:
- A short stack, where the nominal RMS voltage across the leg is 8.4 kV or less.
- A long stack, where the nominal RMS voltage across the leg is 14.8 kV or less.
T-Star provides an integrated control system comprised of:
- One NI cRIO controller
- One proprietary backplane
- One proprietary interface board
- Two proprietary high speed A/D boards
- Multiple proprietary valve operating boards.
- Standardized proprietary control software capable of operating up to 4 sets of static valves and 2 sets of switched filter banks in standard configuration.
Systems may be manufactured by T-Star or an experienced and approved system integrator with assistance and review by T-Star.